Monday, October 25, 2010

Having Brothers and Gaining Sisters

10/14/10

Once upon a time there was a sheepherder who lost some of his sheep. He went out looking for them all day long and was having no success. Eventually he decided to go to a cliff where he could look over most of the valley where his sheep might be. Up on this scenic outlook was a couple. As couples usually do, they were talking all mushy to each other. The man told the woman that he could see the whole world when he looks in her eyes. The herdsman heard this and immediately ran over and grabbed the woman’s face and began gazing with purpose into the her eyes saying, “where are my sheep?!” Then he got punched in the face…

Ok, so not really, but it seemed like a good idea. Also in the original version of the joke he does not grab the woman’s face because that is SO not culturally appropriate. The cleaner version of this joke was told to us by our brothers upstairs. Having them around has been really fun. They’re a little pagl (crazy).

We really have been adopted into their family. It’s really good to have that community of people. I only wish we could share the community of the Spirit. The other day I was trying on a kurta upstairs with Badji. I was a little unsure of whether it fit right or not. She told me to go and ask my brother if he thought it looked nice. I declined that offer after getting over the shock that she told me to do that.

Tonight we did get in some trouble though, but I think that’s what brothers and sisters are supposed to do. As usual, we were playing caram board upstairs. This is an altogether boring game that we are terrible at, really terrible. They always make fun of us and patronize our poor skills. Anyway, Kallie and I had been thinking how fun it would be to play hide-n-go seek with the boys so we suggested the idea. They immediately accepted. It happened to be 10:00 at night, but they still really wanted to play. So they told their father what they were going to do (Badji was not at home) and we ran down the stairs and outside to play while setting the rules of the game. We played one exciting game when Badji showed up and tried to convince us that it was time to go inside. Kallie and I have kind of become pushovers in this area, but the boys seemed determined to stay out and play some more. She kept telling us to come in and they (and we) kept pleading to stay out just a little longer. Looking back and forth from Badji to the boys we stayed outside while Badji slowly ascended the stairs. We played two more games when Kallie was it when Papa came out saying, “where are the boys?” Once we found them we asked if this meant it was time to go inside. They nodded with great regret that it was. We said goodnight and went into our flat wondering how a father might punish his 18 and 20 year old boys who are really just about 13 years old at heart.

Today we also bought a volleyball to play with in the front yard with our neighborhood friends and our brothers upstairs.. We thought of you, Dr. Frost.

That family upstairs has given us innumerable opportunities to learn more about the culture (ethnography here we come) and to talk about their spiritual walk. Sometimes those go well and sometimes not so well, and sometimes we just talk about it all so much that nobody wants to talk anymore. The other night, our landlord initiated a conversation with me on a topic we had discussed a few days before, which I take as a good sign, because that means he at least partially listens to me. Men in this culture often have a problem with good listening, perhaps like men everywhere. One of the sons was in the room and whenever his papa would interrupt me he would tell him to listen to what I was saying because I was correct. Later, that son told me that his father just likes talking to me because I listen to him and I’m a good debater. The first part is good, but I’m not sure about the second.

Recently we have become friends with a girl in our neighborhood. She actually lives right across the street. As a result, she has developed the habit of dropping by any time she sees we’re at home. This is lovely because we have been so desperate for friends lately. She is a sweet sassy girl. Her soapbox is all about how men oppress women in this society. It’s really funny. We’re hoping to find some opportunities with her to talk about the equality expressed in our Book. Please lift this up for us.

There are two other girls in the neighborhood we’re working on befriending. We try to yarpfully (there’s a new one for you) consider how the Father would have us do this. Please join us in that effort.

So many things have been happening lately. It’s so nice to have things to do and at least feel a little bit purposeful. The Father has taught me so much about the idea of purpose during these ups and downs. My job is not to discover the purpose of my life, it is simply to worsh.p Him for who He is and the great purpose He accomplished on earth. Sometimes I am growing in Him. Sometimes I am helping others. Sometimes, I am just supposed to be a light in a dark place. My supervisor said that we cannot help but be lights. Even if we talk to nobody, our presence brings light to the darkness because of the Sp.rit in us! I like that perspective.

Recently I have been studying their h.ly book. It has been interesting, boring, frustrating, and exciting at different times. It’s a difficult read. I’m hoping for an opportunity to study it with somebody at least a little bit. I just want to hear their perspectives and interpretations. My ultimate desire is for them to read the Word. I am certain of its power to transform and not my power to build bridges. Everybody wants to make the bridges with that book, but simply it denies basic premises. It is not what will lead them.

10/25: My computer has yet to get internet so here’s where things are now.

Last weekend we spent the night on a houseboat—a local tourist attraction around here. We were invited by two of our friends. It was a great opportunity to talk to them and get to know more about their beliefs. We met them and took a Shikhara ride over to the houseboat. We walked on some wabbly platforms with no handrails and I was quite terrified of falling into the mucky waters of the lake. We were served the usual chai on the boat and sat and talked with our friends. We found out many things about their feelings toward the Father. They are VERY COVERT about who they are in the Son. We are getting to do some studying with them which is a definite blessing. Please lift this up! There’s a language barrier and I am afraid of some lack of honesty. I’m afraid they’ll tell us what they know we want to hear.

Last night we spent the night at their house. They live in a village area of the city. It was an interesting place to be. Basically we drank a lot of chai and played with one of the cutest but definitely most naughty children I have ever met. It was good to meet their family and study some more with them. Additionally, the squatty made another entrance into our lives (always worth mentioning). Not to offer too much information, but I am quite proud to say that my aim has definitely improved. J

This afternoon I am alone in the apartment. Kallie left to go to yarp meeting. Basically our conversation went like this:

Kallie: Are you wanting to go to yarp meeting?

Me: No, BUT YOU should go.

Kallie: Oh, I get it, you want me to leave you alone.

Me: Well, not you specifically.

Kallie: Yeah, I get it.

Sometimes I just need that time by myself. I am learning to be okay with that.

We have less than a month left. I’m definitely not ready to go yet.